Monday, March 2, 2009

No throwing things at the table! Or at people for that matter...

This particular incident happened quite recently to a couple of my co-workers. It wasn’t a particularly busy night but it occurred during our restaurants happy hour which always manages to get pretty hectic. From 3- 7pm the bar area of the restaurant is guaranteed to be packed. Guests are so desperate to take advantage of the ridiculously cheap prices that are only offered during happy hour, that they are willing to sit at dirty tables, share tables with complete strangers, stand, I’ve even seen people sit outside on the patio during rainy weather. You get my point.

A group of about 5 women were lucky enough to have found a vacant table in the bar to accommodate their entire party, and on top of that, one of our best bartenders was working a cocktail shift that night and was their waiter. As the waiter approached the table he asked how all of the ladies were doing that evening and they completely snubbed him, which he was honestly used to, so just proceeded to take their order. At this point the ladies were just shouting things out at him as well as continuing to talk amongst themselves. In order to ensure accuracy and timeliness, a waiter needs to take control of a table, which is exactly what the waiter did in this case, but when he interrupted the chaos, one of the women got somewhat offensive.

Her demeanor was rude and arrogant when she said “either I’m going too fast or you just ain’t getting it.” Either way, she was implying something degrading. From that point on things just got worse. The whole table was demanding and mistreating the restaurant employees. They even began to behave inappropriately loud and disturbing to all of the other guests. I have to admit that the way these women were acting was nothing any restaurant server has never witnessed before, but what happened next, had us all gasping in disbelief.

The restaurant that we work in offers complimentary chips and salsa to all guest while dining in. This particular table of women kept the bar busser busy with their constant requests for refills of free chip baskets and salsa bowls. In one of her many dreadful trips to the table of ungrateful and greedy women, she once again discovered that they were in need of yet more free chips and salsa. She collected the empty basket and salsa dish and told the women at the table that she would be right back with more chips and salsa. As the busser smiled politely and turned to walk away she felt something hit her in the back.

The busser immediately turned back around, knowing that whatever it was that hit her in the back came from that horrid table of glutton women. She came to find out that it was a dirty balled up napkin that hit her! The busser then approached the table to confront them and one of the women tried to apologize by saying “I’m sorry, I was trying to make it in the thing.” Now, by “thing”, we assume she was referring to the chip basket. As obvious as it might seem, I just have to put this out there… A chip basket is not the same as a basket-ball hoop! Even my 4-year old son knows not to throw things at the table and even more importantly, he knows not to disrespect anyone, especially on that low of a level.

16 comments:

  1. I think that you have a great blog idea. Your blogs are very entertaining to read and it is nice to read from a different angle. Also I like the fact that I can relate to your blog because I know I have seen some crazy things at restaurants.
    My comment for improvement, maybe go into more depth about the description of what people look like and maybe where you think they are from. This way it can give readers of your blogs more of a visual on the person.
    Thanks for letting me read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing the way people can be treated these days. I, like Juliet, have seen plenty of rude and annoying patrons at restaurants, but never have I seen a napkin alley-oop'd into a chip basket. Are there any restaurant olympics? Because that could turn out to be one of the finer events. In all seriousness, though, no one deserves that. I've never had the pleasure (or not?) of working at a restaurant. I know I try and be as courteous and polite as possible because I am about to be served food from that waiter or waitress, making them the last person I'd like to irritate (not that anything would happen, but after seeing Waiting, I especially don't take any chances). How much crap does someone take before they get the person kicked out of a place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Horror stories of the service industry. I've spent my entire adult life working in restaurants. Most of these restaurants have been at tourist spots in tourist locations. Tourism brings out the nastiest of customers. I work on the otherside of the spectrum, in the kitchen. Being in the kitchen I don't have to be exposed to the same sort of experience as a waiter?waitress, host/hostess or busser but I do know about complaints. I have heard lots and lots of stories. I think this blog entry is as good as any of the stories that I have heard in the past. I think you may find this class and blog spot to be really beneficial. What I mean is the service/culinary industry is a stressful gig. You now have an outlet to not only share amusing antidotes but also to vent on all those customers who miss the "basket" in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love the title of your blog "The Weeds", I may use that as a title in a future entry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This story was downright horrifying. I know that I for one try my hardest to be kind towards waiters having had a wide variety of friends that have gone through similarly horrifying situations. I really hope those women were run out of the restaurant as there really is a limit to how much abuse anyone should need to take.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandra, I just read your comment on my post. I think you should definently post a blog on FOH vs. BOH. I think you should do a post on your impression of the BOH and I will do a post on my impression of the FOH. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is probably the most relatable blog post I've read just because we've ALL had situations like this whether watching or being the victim of (and if you work in food service, you have been the victim of it). I don't hope that something like this happens to you again. I do, however, hope that if it does and you feel like ranting about it you post it here. I enjoyed reading this post. Hang in there and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing how self absorbed people can be and the lack of courtesy that they can have. How do you maintain your composure in these situations? Has there ever been a time where you just lose it? Are the stories true? Should the patrons that behave in a similar fashion to what you described above be worried about what's in their food?

    ReplyDelete
  10. it is amazing how people think they have the right to treat restaurant servers that way. like walking through the door creates some type of entitlement. unbelievable. i hope they got kicked out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your participation in the Cerebral Barbedwire "All articles and topics daily blog carnival" - http://cerebralbarbedwire.blogspot.com/2009/03/cerebral-barbedwire-blog-carnival-march_13.html

    Feel free to participate again

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry to hear about what that childish customer did. People could get so careless during happy hour when they should just learn how to control their behavior and alcohol consumption. People need to understand sometimes that they could have a good time without trying to show off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh My! I cannot believe those women did that. I heard from someone that restaurants usually have a statement on the menu saying that they have the right to refuse service. I hope the manager threw them out of the restaurant. I have never seen adults act so childish as these women did. And yet I suppose there always has to be at least one customer that makes you wish you took the day off. I am so sorry your coworker had to go through such an awful situation. I am curious to hear what she said to those five women after being hit by the dirty napkin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. I've been working at my family taqueria for about 10 years now and we've dealt with a whole bunch of rude customers. I can totally relate to this situation. I remember when I first started there seemed to be a lot of customers to watch out for. Then there are those that just surprise your day and your left with the astonished OMG face.

    At our taqueria we don't go to tables to take orders and we used to have customers wait for their food by the register. In the last years we've made sure to let them sit after they pay and we then go take them their meals. I have yet to have something like what you wrote about happen, but as the cashier, one thing I can't stand customers throwing is their money on the counter. As for your blog Sandra I really like it. Your description of the restaurant was vivid and I really felt like I was there. Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's amazing how rude some people can be. People who dine out should realize that restaurants are often hectic environments. The people working there are (usually) trying to do their best to make sure everyone is taken care of. Diners should remember that just because someone is having a bad night, doesn't mean they deserve to be treated the way you described in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! I cannot even believe grown women would act in such a way. People need to learn how to act their age and NOT their shoe size. I am lucky enough to be a waitress at a golf club. I basically see the same 300 people so they would never act like that. If people forget to say please or thank you, other members will remind them. It's almost as if we are a family. How do you manage to stay calm when people act that way? I have a lot of respect for you because there is no way that I would be able to stay calm.

    ReplyDelete